Monday, January 01, 2007

Light entertainment during intermission


UNTIL I get my act together to tell more of the great stories behind the guitar, check this link to visit a musical piece that featured several months ago in my editorial column, Classie Corner, which travels the highways and byways of the marvellous community of classfied advertising.
http://classiecorner.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_archive.html

(Classie Corner appears in The Redland Times, Cleveland, Redland Shire, Queensland, Australia.)

ANOTHER mop-up job: An earlier post touched on the sensitive subject of fretboard care.
About once a decade I clean my fretboards with a mix of 50% vinegar and 50% olive oil, shaken in the bottle until it emulsifies and goes milky, then applied with a cloth and thoroughly wiped off.
If the grime won't shift, I have used a little general purpose household cleaning spray and/or gently scraped off the grime with a razorblade in the direction of the grain.
I recently came across a raging debate on one of the guitar websites. It was heated, with the fretboard oilers head to head and toe to toe with the anti-oil lobby.
A lot of factors play a part in fretboard maintenence. Just punch "fretboard oils" into your search engine or start with http://www.muzique.com/schem/fret.htm to get a feel for the issues.

No comments: